Monday, April 7, 2014

Sermon for 2nd Lent 2014

Preached at Canadochly Lutheran Church on March 16, 2014
Scripture texts: Genesis 12:1-9, John 3:1-17



You may not know it, but we are presented today a remarkable opportunity. Perhaps even more so because of how routine it is; every three years in our lectionary cycle we are given this opportunity. What am I talking about? Well, let me explain...

Imagine you were given a task to condense the whole of the Scriptures down to just 10 verses that summed up the whole of the great plan God has for our world. What 10 verses would you pick?

You see, if I had that task, if I had to do that, five of those ten verses would be found in our lessons today. Five of them. Half of that number. That’s why I consider this to be a remarkable event. We have almost the whole of the Gospel story condensed into these small passages before you.

Now, my guess is that many of you would probably choose at least a few of the same verses that I would. In fact, I’m sure the number one verse would be the same for pretty much all of us. Come on, say it with me. “For God so loved....” Pretty much considered to be the verse that best sums up God’s plan for our world.

I haven’t seen Bannerman in a while. You probably know who I’m talking about. Christian musician Steve Taylor once wrote a song called “Bannerman” about the guy at all the sporting events who would hold up the “John 3:16” sign. Yeah, that guy. I don’t know if he’s even still around, but he’s a good example as to this universal acceptance of the importance of that verse.


But I would argue that the very next verse, John 3:17, is nearly as important. “For God did not send...” You see, I think we need to be reminded of a very simple truth about God’s plan and that is that it is not a plan to destroy evil, to destroy sinners, but rather to redeem evil and to save sinners and that it is not a plan that is limited, but is meant for all of creation.

One of the biggest clues for that is the word that is used in the original language of Greek for “world.” It’s a word that has come back into vogue to some degree just within this past week. kosmos. Substitute that in. For God so loved the cosmos...

Now what isn’t covered by the cosmos? Who can escape this outpouring from our God of his love? This salvation that he brings in Jesus Christ? Do any of us here think that the circumstances of our lives, the mistakes we’ve made, the trials we’ve endured, or anything else can keep us from our Savior when it’s the cosmos that he seeks to save through Christ?

Two lessons from the Old Testament give further credence to this and guess what? One of them is our first lesson. Told you there were 5 verses, which means there are 3 more to go and here they are.

Now the Lord said to Abram, “Go from your country and your kindred and your father’s house to the land that I will show you.2I will make of you a great nation, and I will bless you, and make your name great, so that you will be a blessing. 3I will bless those who bless you, and the one who curses you I will curse; and in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed.”

The kicker is that last part. “In you, ALL the families of the earth shall be blessed.” This is the Old Covenant, the one that God makes with Abraham in ancient days and even then, thousands of years before Jesus, God has declared his purpose. The Christ will come for all.

I said there were two lessons in the Old Testament that give support to what Nicodemus is told by Jesus in our Gospel lesson. The other comes from the Noah story (also soon to be in vogue again thanks to Hollywood.) We all know that God makes the rainbow at the end of that tale, but what he says about that rainbow is what is really important. (We’ll count this as verse #6 in my list.)  “I establish my covenant with you, that never again shall all flesh be cut off...” (Genesis 9:11)

Now doesn't that sound a little familiar? It should. For God did not send the son...

Jesus expresses bafflement that Nicodemus is so astounded by what he’s teaching him. The truth is, it’s all there. What Jesus says and does throughout the Gospels is the culmination of everything God has been planning since the beginning. As a scholar of the ancient Scriptures, Nicodemus should have known all that, but he didn’t get it.

Do we?

We keep creating excuses, reasons why we think God will cut off ourselves and others. Those people over there are such...whatever. Lazy, worthless, unworthy, pick your adjective. But the blood of Christ on the cross takes all that away. I’m not worthy. I’ve done terrible things. God could never forgive me. Bull. He already has. The cross was for you and for me and for everyone. That is the heart of the Gospel.

For God so loved the world and everyone in it, you, me, and everyone, that he gave his only son that whosoever believes in him would NOT perish, but have eternal life. Indeed, God did not send the son into the world to condemn you, me or anyone else, but that we would be saved through him.

There it is. That is what God intends for us. That is what he’s done for us. That is his plan, forged in the far depths of human history and brought to fullness in Jesus Christ, all for you and me and everyone. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment