Monday, August 21, 2017

Sermon for the Eleventh Sunday after Pentecost

Preached at Canadochly and Grace on August 20, 2017
Preaching text: Matthew 15:10-28

The first half of our Gospel text today contains what was, in my teenage years, probably my favorite verse in all of Scripture. It was my shield, my defense, against my detractors. You see, in West Virginia, there is a peculiar and very strong strain of pietism in Christianity. Regardless of denomination, there were just some things you didn’t do if you were a “good Christian boy.”

For instance, you didn’t listen to rock-n-roll music. That would turn you gay and make you into a devil worshiper. You didn’t read certain books like Lord of the Rings or Conan the Barbarian (or, a generation later, Harry Potter) because that would turn you gay and make you into a devil worshiper. You didn’t study “evil-ution” in school because that would turn you gay and make you into a devil worshiper. You certainly didn’t play Dungeons and Dragons because…well, you get the picture. I did all those things.

Jack Chick's cartoon idiocy was quite popular back home.

Now it’s easy to laugh at the obvious homophobia and paranoia of their interpretation of Christianity, but to them it is deadly serious. In the early 1970s, in an effort to protect the youth of WV from corruption, riots broke out over certain textbooks in use in the schools. People were hurt, books were burned, and things were very very ugly for a time. 


And it hasn’t changed much. When I took a group of youth to a Christian rock concert in Charleston from my church in Davis just a few years ago, we ran into protesters who claimed yet again that listening even to Christian rock would turn us gay and make us worship the devil.


But, in my defense, I had the words from Jesus himself. “It is not what enters a man that defiles him.” I felt I had good standing here and still do. After all, I’m not gay and even if I were it wouldn’t be because of one too many D&D games. It would be because I was born that way. And I’m certainly not a devil worshiper. I love my Jesus now as much as I ever have.

But I have to confess that recent events have challenged my interpretation of this text and those like it in the other Gospels. Well, speaking of being born a certain way, I know darn well those people who marched through the streets of Charlottesville last weekend were not born with hatred in their heart for those different from them. That crap was learned. And it was learned by what they took in. It was what entered into them that made them that way.

So am I wrong? Should I read Jesus more literally here? Since it is, in Matthew’s recording, that which “goes into the mouth” that does not defile and I certainly did not eat my books, CDs, and games. Is this really only about food and unwashed hands? No, I don’t think so. Jesus himself points out that it’s what’s in the heart that determines what comes out of a person. So what’s the difference between the ones marching in the streets for hate and myself?

Not a whole lot actually.

I’ve done a lot of reading on the origins of the so-called Alt-right movement and a big chunk of the followers of that movement are, for lack of a better way to describe them, nerds. Like me. People who did all those same things I did as a youth: played D&D, read and watched stories of brave knights and beautiful princesses in great distress, devoured sci-fi: Star Trek, Star Wars, Dr. Who, you name it. Grew up believing, as so many do, that courage, hard work, tenacity would all be rewarded in the end. That they’d get the great job, win the girl, and live happily ever after.

And then real life came crashing down on them like an avalanche. Real life is not a fairy tale and these folks discovered, as I once did, that life does not hand you anything no matter how deserving of it you think you are. Women are not vending machines into which you can drop coins of kindness and wit and then sex and romance come out. Good jobs are scarce in this economy and even with hard work you may not land them.

I had to learn all those lessons. Ask any of my ex-girlfriends how entitled I felt I was to them because I was a “nice guy.” Ask my college sophomore self how unfair it was that I was still flunking out of Computer Science despite the long hours of work I’d put in. I watched my whole life fall apart that year. Everything I thought I was going to be gone in a few short months.

According to Eric Hoffer’s book The True Believer, it’s people in those very circumstances that are ripe for recruitment into mass movements. People who believe their lives are utterly and irredeemably broken. And that’s why so many of those nerds fell in with the alt-right and the hatemongers in Charlottesville. But why didn’t I? It’s not like those sort of charlatans and neo-Nazi groups and so forth didn’t exist in the 90s too. That was the era of Ruby Ridge and Oklahoma City. Why didn’t I become like them?

Because I chose not to. What was in my heart, along with all the anger and despair at how life had treated me, was also Jesus. And that part of me compelled me to choose differently. I choose the good, as best I could. The execution of that choice could have been better; I wasn’t perfect then and I certain am not now. But I strove for the good, despite the temptations otherwise.

And maybe that’s why Matthew pairs Jesus’ discussion of what does and does not defile with the story of the Canaanite woman. What goes into this woman but insults and rejection? Even Jesus himself responds to her with cruelty and disdain. But I believe he does that for a reason. He knows what’s in this woman’s heart. He knows that pouring hate and rejection into her will not stop her from choosing the good. It will not stop her from choosing Jesus even when Jesus himself seems to say no.


And he’s right about her. She chooses to follow. She chooses to believe. She chooses to turn Jesus’ own words back on him. “You don’t throw the children’s food to the dogs? Fine. I’ll just take a crumb, just like the dogs would get. That’s all I need to save my daughter.” She does not disappoint him. Her faith is strong and she chooses Jesus even in the face of his rejection. What a powerful demonstration of faith.

You can almost imagine Jesus walking away from this scene with a certain smug satisfaction. “You wanted to know what I meant about what does and does not defile. Look to that woman. I insulted her, heaped disdain and rejection upon her and yet still she called upon me for aid. Her heart is pure no matter what I or anyone else tried to put inside her. Do likewise. Be like her.”

We are confronted with myriad choices every day. And there are forces of evil about that want our allegiance. And we’ve seen how they work. They tear people down, beat and abuse them. Convince them of their worthlessness and say to them their only choice to redeem themselves is to follow evil. From the marchers in Charlottesville to the greedy-beyond-measure CEO in the halls of power, we’ve seen how these choices are made. But we here gathered have chosen differently. We have chosen Christ even as life has done its worst to us. We have chosen the one who has said we are not worthless; that we are more precious than all the wealth in the world. That we are worth dying for.


That’s who we are and we have also been called to make others like us. These ripe times for the church; the harvest truly is ready. We have seen with our own eyes the vast numbers of lost souls convinced the meaning in life can be found in hate, rage, greed, gluttony, and lust.  We have an alternative to all those things. We have a better choice. But they will only know if we show them. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment