Thursday, August 11, 2016

Churchwide Assembly Day Four

Today began with more rain.

Rainy Day on Canal Street

In some ways, that’s a good metaphor. We look at rain sometimes as an ill omen and seems fitting. It was a good thing I took an easy night last night, because my health issues hit me. I’ve mentioned before my UC and while I don’t think I’m in another major flare, I did have an “episode” last evening that kept me up until 1:30am. I’m tired and we’re just getting started. At least my blisters are mostly healed. Staying off my feet has done well for them.

My health wasn’t the only misfortune for the morning. Today is the opening day of the Grace Gathering, which is happening concurrently with the Assembly. It seems the bus company running our shuttles were unprepared for the influx of extra people this morning, so despite my getting in line for the shuttle 15 minutes earlier today, I was 30 minutes late to the session.


So I arrived midway through the questioning of the remaining seven VP candidates. Since we’re getting down to the last few, we’re getting into the details of how these individuals will lead and perform their duties. I had been supporting one candidate (Tom Madden from Upstate NY on the advice of my trusted LSS colleagues), but from these questions and answers, I’m considering some other options now.

I’m eager for a quiet morning and it looks like I’ll have that. The bulk of this morning’s agenda is focused on the Presiding Bishop’s report and the VP election, not on the remaining memorials that took up so much time and energy yesterday. This afternoon is our workshop time, where I will do some further anti-racism dialogue (presumably) by attending “From Doctrine of Discover to #BlackLivesMatter.”

I’m looking forward to a vigorous discussion this afternoon and then an evening on the town. That, and a Café au Lait, are energizing me for the day.

Bp. Eaton’s report followed the Q&A. She hit some of the highlights of the work the ELCA has done over the last three years, many of which we’ve already covered in this Assembly. She highlighted in particularly the work of the ecumenical commission on the Declaration. (Yeah, I’m harping on that again.) She also spoke about the fact that we have, as a church, had to confront racism in the world and in our own ranks. I like this Bishop and I am thankful for her leadership. She reiterated what Sec. Boerger said yesterday that “we are all the ELCA.”

She also, jokingly, said that there are some in our church who so respect the name of the Lord that they never speak it. (That’s a riff on our lack of evangelism, FYI.) We need to be better about sharing, proclaiming, and showing Christ to the world. (My Canadochly folks know this is an emphasis of mine also.) She also reminded us that people of color in the worldwide Lutheran church outnumber white Europeans, and yet we struggle with diversity here in the American church. She said that we are to reread and rededicate ourselves to the Small Catechism for our anniversary. (Yet another emphasis of mine, although not so evident in my current call. I want Lutherans to understand what it means to be Lutheran.) She reminds us that we’re also not doing this on our own. We are all the ELCA, we have partnerships with other Christian faiths (Six Full Communion partners), and relationship with Lutherans across the world through the LWF.

Bishop Eaton concluded her remarks, I took a brief break, and I returned to the Assembly to hear the personal testimony of an Arab man from the Middle East who now serves as pastor in the ELCA. Presumably, he’s the beneficiary of ELCA scholarship. Ah, he’s introduced himself as the new Director for the ELCA Fund for Leaders (which is one, if not our largest, scholarship program for seminarians.) He is encouraging us to continue our generosity to aid more leaders in the future.

Following is the Churchwide report, looking at new mission starts, new congregations, new ministries, the work of World Hunger, etc. The report is a mix of video and personal testimony (I guessing now our friend from the Fund for Leaders was an earlier part of this overall report, but I missed the beginning due to my restroom break.)

The third ballot of the VP election followed. Down to seven names, I cast my vote using the electronic voting machine provided. These should facilitate some quicker results than the previous two ballots which were cumbersome in size (That’s not a critique. Ecclesiastical ballots just work that way.) We got a video from the MIF as we waited for results. No election at this time, and neither candidate that I’ve supported will move on. So time to do some rethinking and prayer.

Break time and then to worship, lunch, and the workshop. Given my weariness from last night, I decided to do something different for my worship time. I visited the prayer chapel and offered up prayers for all of you, for my family and friends, for thanksgiving for this experience here at CWA. I also prayed about the circumstances of my life and a remembrance that all is in God’s hand.

This is for a certain someone in my congregation. From the prayer wall.

An icon of Christ healing the sick.

I ate my lunch and then headed to my workshop. The new expansion for my Hearthstone game launched today, so I was downloading it while I was heading to the workshop, eager to play a quick game on my phone before the workshop began. I was so enraptured in my phone that I almost missed the gentleman who was going to start off our conversations this afternoon.

Surprise!

Yes, that is the Rev. Jesse Jackson, who began our workshop with about 20 minutes of remarks about how #BlackLivesMatter is simply a continuation of the historic work for civil rights leading back to even before MLK. I'd never heard him speak before but I was enthralled. He encouraged us to encourage young people to vote. I love one anecdote he shared with us.

"Reverend, when is it preaching or when is it politics?"
"I don't know. I thought they were the same thing."

So often they are. We pray by doing.




I headed back to the hotel for a meeting with my fellow LSS delegates. I had a great conversation with Moses and Titus, two African-Americans from our group who had also been in the #BlackLivesMatter workshop. We shared our thoughts and reflections. I long ago learned the best way to connect with someone who is different from you is to listen to them. I did a lot of listening today.

After that, I beat feet for the French Quarter again. I returned to the same cafe as Monday and had another excellent meal. If you're ever in NOLA, check out Cafe Mospero on Decatur Street. You'll be glad you did.


A couple of beautiful views down Royal Street

I did some shopping and then headed over to the truly infamous Bourbon Street. Whatever you've heard about the place is nothing compared to actually being there. It makes South Street in Philly look like a nunnery.



As a Lutheran, I was kind of partial to this place: The Saints & Sinners Bar

I returned to the room and I'm going to rest. Tomorrow will be busy with much business in the Assembly and a few more items to be bought for my friends and family back home.










No comments:

Post a Comment